Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Riveting Rockets Remembered

Classy Champs

The 2008 Yankees will miss the baseball playoffs. It’s the first time since 1994 the franchise will go home after the last regular season ballgame. Reflecting back, I’m reminiscing about the year 1994 and the Houston Rockets of the NBA. The Rockets had a championship season that year behind the great Hakeem “The Dream” Olajuwon. Hakeem hailed from the University of Houston. The celebrated center helped lead his team to a 4-3 series win against the New York Knicks. The Rocket rebounder represented resolute, resolved, and recognized ability. Number 34 was drafted number one overall in 1984 and ten years later, I recall watching Hakeem and the Rockets win two games at home to capture the NBA crown. New York’s John Starks missed a crucial potential game winning point in Game 6 as “The Dream” blatantly batted down his shot. This key clutch play if often talked about most when basketball fans remember the Rockets. I recall other outstanding moments and players who stepped up to patiently preserve the championship for Houston. Otis Thorpe, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Carl Herrera and Vernon Maxwell were stellar stars. Houston averaged about 100 points per game that season and cemented a legacy in my heart. The year after winning the championship in ’94, Clyde Drexler joined his former college teammate Hakeem. The two were like bookends on defense and offense for the Rockets. I couldn’t get enough of their teamwork.
Today’s Rockets feature ferocious figures also. Tracy McGrady and his famed Adidas sneakers somehow cheapen the legacy. Don’t get me wrong, I still love my team and root for them. The NBA atmosphere isn’t the same with enormous endorsement deals and entourages overshadowing the game itself. I long for the player who portrays class and considers the game precious. The pretentious and pompous players today are too proud and petty. Most of them are detrimental to the sport. I am now more inclined to tune my tube into a college basketball game. However much I complain about the NBA today though, I am looking forward to the 2008-09 Rockets. From Alston to Artest, Brooks to Battier, McGrady to Mutumbo and Scola to Strawberry, the Rockets will be contenders in the west. And you cannot forget the contribution of Yao Ming. He’s an immense presence in the league and has an affable appearance. The dominant defender Ming is as close to this era’s version of Hakeem and I can think. But, the style is still light years away.

Sad note from New York Giants radio: Long time player and announcer, Dick Lynch, passed away from Leukemia. I am a big radio listener and I loved hearing him do play by play every Sunday.
Not so noble note from Giants camp: Plaxico Burress was suspended for not showing up for practice Monday. Shame on him.


Parting points: College football should be interesting this Saturday. Big Ten conference play kicks off, featuring some cool games. I want to see the outcome of the Georgia-Alabama game. I do not like either team but want to see the Bulldogs go down for once.

Song of the day: “Let it die” by Foo Fighters
Link of the day:
http://pauloneill21.com/news/2008/stadium_farewell.html Some great Paul O’Neill pics from Sunday

No comments: