Monday, September 22, 2008

Composed Closer Closure

A sweet sweep sent Yankees fans home happy last night to close down the stadium. It was only fitting that this team swept the Orioles during their final series in the building and of the year. Even more fitting was seeing Mariano Rivera finish the game. It was a non-save situation but the sophisticated Sandman still shut down the O’s for the game’s final three outs. Perhaps Rivera is the most valuable Yankee during their 90’s/00’s championship run. He’s been the one cornerstone and constant piece the team relies on in big games. I think the idea of having a dominant closer is overrated. It’s entirely possible to win without one. However, you cannot diminish what Mo has accomplished and the fact he gets the job done year in and year out. Where would the Yankees be without Rivera?
That being said, all the fuss over moving Jaba Chamberlain to the starting rotation from the bullpen is crazy. Why would the Yankees not want Jaba starting games every five days? He has a repertoire of solid stuff and the audacity to take the ball at any given moment. Yes, it would be great to have a “new” Mariano Rivera once Mo decides to hang up the cleats. But why waste what Jaba brings to the table only to use him in closing situations?

Something weird: I had a dream Saturday night that Jose Molina hit the final homerun at Yankee Stadium. Certainly creepy.

And a final reflection on the great Yankees teams from recent years. I still remember Game 6 the night of October 26, 1996. I stayed up watching the entire game and did not move from my brown recliner. I was too superstitious to change seats or get up for a break. The Yankees beat the Braves that night and I remember crying the moment it happened.
After seeing Bernie back in the Bronx yesterday, I thought of a wonderful Williams walkoff homerun. I attended a game in the late 90’s and honestly cannot recall who the Yankees were playing. Bernie hit the ball to the right field stands in the bottom of the ninth inning as I watched it sail by from my seat near the foul pole. The commotion in the crowd is what I remember from that day in NY.


Parting points: A good closure song to spin is “Shadow of the day” by Linkin Park.

No comments: