Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bye Bye Bronx

September 21st is the final game at Yankee Stadium. Lefty, Andy Pettitte, will take the mound for the last time in the House That Ruth Built. Another lefty, David “Boomer” Wells, is the topic of this blog entry. Wells holds a very special place in my heart because he pitched a perfect game on my birthday (May 17th) Since silencing sluggers’ sticks that day, I’ve felt some connection with him. Paul O’Neill is my favorite modern day Yankee but David Wells is an icon indeed. Boomer never really took himself seriously and was too often involved in controversy. But, when it came to pitching, nobody was as close to perfect as David. As Yankee Stadium closes its doors Sunday, I am going to share my favorite stadium moment.
August 20, 2003 was a hazy summer afternoon. I took the train with my father to Yankee Stadium early enough to arrive in the city with time to visit Monument Park. It was great to be on break from college and attend a late season game against the hapless Kansas City Royals. In all my years rooting for the Yankees, I never went to Monument Park. I just wanted to see Lou Gehrig’s plaque in person once. The Ironhorse will always be my favorite athlete of all time. That day, Wells was not pitching but he was warming up on the outfield grass as Mel Stottlemeyer watched. David delivered devastating fastballs frantically and forcefully to the warm-up catcher. Fans were observing Boomer’s every pitch from behind the gates of the park. I stood silently as Wells finished his tosses and casually opened the door to Monument Park, four feet from where I stood. I didn’t even see the ball in his hand as he peered into my eyes, handed me the white object, and dashed away towards the bullpen. Not a word was exchanged between me and this immense icon. The fans around me, including my father (who really does not like the Yankees; he’s actually a Mets fan) were all smiling in amazement. I froze and pondered placidly gripping Wells’ baseball in my right hand. It was a very special day because I also got two autographs from the visiting players (Royals). Looking out at the diamond from Monument Park is beautiful. Yankee Stadium truly is a historic place. I’ll miss walking around the inside, ordering pastrami sandwiches, buying my yearbook, and checking out the jerseys for sale. Mostly, I will miss those initial moments as you walk out into the stands and see the entire stadium. Everybody talks about the aura. For me, the aura happens that instant when you have your father next to you, your Yankee cap on your head and the ball field bustling before you.

Here’s hoping Pettitte pitches well and Mo Rivera closes his last game with a big time win and ovation.

Parting points: Speaking of great venues to watch sports, I think Camden Yards would be a great one to attend. I’ve only seen Camden from the outside but I can sense a similar aura about the ballpark in Baltimore as the old Yankee Stadium. I really hope the new stadium is just as cozy.

1 comment:

Gayles1 said...

I enjoyed reading your Yankee Stadium Memories. Very cool to get a ball from David Wells!