Saturday, July 31, 2010

Waiting on a Wish

Today is baseball's trading deadline. To me, the day is like waiting on a wish for your team to acquire the player that may make a difference come playoff time.
This is a poem I wrote for a lost cause. It's about wishing you knew things you know you never will.

All The Things I Wish I Knew

I wish I knew how to forget you
I’d take my feelings
Seal them in an envelope
And mail them away
Like washing my car
I’d rub out the spots
Shine up the scratches
Settling in for a new traveling day
Place my thoughts in a bottle
Toss it in the sea
Send my message to a place
Where broken hearts flee
I’d take a sharp silver nail
Hammer it into soft wood
Flattened and forlorn, like me
Permanently in place for good
I wish I knew what it takes to let go
Of the way your eyes penetrate my soul
The way they console
The way they move
The way they foster tears and soothe
Raindrops left underneath a fallen tree
Are foreign to the world
Immune to unfair human decree
Silenced among the blossoms unfurled
I wish I knew the way to your breath
Then my wanderlust would apply
Justified by the depth
Of wishing to meet you when the road does die
Not unlike a ripple rolling from a stream
Following a path
Splashing on the rocks
Looking for a dream
That’s how I would be
If only I knew
The secret key
To clash waves with you

No comments: