Thursday, July 8, 2010

Decision Day

LeBron James will announce his decision about what team he will sign with tonight on television. I could care less where the best player in the league (arguably) chooses to play, but James’ free agency will impact the team he selects. LeBron’s decision will also affect the fans. I’d be willing to be there are kids out there who will become fans of the team that lands LeBron.
Why are you loyal to specific teams? People have many reasons why they root for certain teams in each sport. My reasons all come down to one commonality: a player. My decision to become a fan of a team can be traced to a set of players I established as favorites when I was young. I am a Yankees fan because of Steve Sax. I root for the Dallas Cowboys because of Troy Aikman. The reason I like the Houston Rockets is because of Hakeem “The Dream” Olajuwon. My L.A. Kings fascination stems from an adoration of Wayne Gretzky and I like the Devils because of Marty Brodeur. I cheer for the Kansas Jayhawks during college basketball season because of my respect for Coach Bill Self. During college football season, you know you will find me sporting Ohio State apparel. Why? Joe Germaine.
A player gives a team personality and identity. Fanbases are often established because of players, though rich history and tradition doesn’t hurt. This is not to say fans always follow their favorite players if they sign with another team or are traded away. I didn’t root for the Whitesox when Sax left New York for Chicago. I didn’t automatically become a Rangers fan when Gretzky exited L.A. My loyalty stayed with the teams I considered my favorites.
It’s James’ decision to make and perhaps it’s more impactful than even the MVP superstar from Cleveland realizes. Should he leave the Cavs, what will those fans decide to do? Will the Cleveland LeBron fans follow their chosen player to his next destination or will they remain faithful to the Cavs? It will be interesting to see. They say one player does not make a team. But many times, one player does make a fan.

Parting Points: Happy Birthday to the most unique and coolest musician of the past 15years—Beck!

Poem of the day- Richard Aldington’s “Prelude”

No comments: