Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Taken

The smell of tennis ball dust fills the air
When I pop open a pair of three in a can
Their highlighted bounce draws my stare
Painting against the sky like a crayon
I bring my belongings to center court
Mindful of the wind at my shorts
A moving sun breaks where clouds abort
The ray of light in the loneliest of sports
The time it takes to spin my racquet
Equates to the fraction of seconds I knew
Without a sensible reason to back it
My heart fell deeply in love with you
The pinging sounds like the bang of a drum
Silenced by slices cut craftily in space
I can almost hear the harmony of your hum
The sweet voice from your handsome face
The lobs and drops and two-handed slaps
Understate the skills it takes to react
When the shots sail towards the open gaps
You’re forced to keep your game in tact
It takes concentration, effort and strength
Losing and gaining at momentous stakes
A disciplined desire to endure the length
Like realizing you’re worth whatever it takes

No comments: