Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baseball Bonding

July 30, 1997- Yankee Stadium
I remember the view from the third base tier section of Yankee stadium. The majesty and mystique of the magnificent field was as incredulous as David Wells ‘careening curveball. There was something special about this sunny summer day in New York. My dad and I were sitting together in the stands witnessing the southpaw pitch a three-hitter against the visiting Oakland A’s. The ushers who saluted us as we entered our section were engaged in the performer on the hill. My dad, who pushed the two tickets into his breast pocket before sitting down, raised his eyebrows in an impressive gesture after the first few innings. Everyone was stirred by the baseball being played. There aren’t enough superlatives to go around to describe the grand cathedral of sports.
Tino Martinez started the Bombers scoring with a two run shot in the first inning. Derek Jeter lead off with a double and moved to third by Luis Sojo’s hit. Jeter scored on a wild pitch for the first run of the game. The powerful, Paul O’Neill, drew a walk next, only to be followed by Martinez’s monstrous homerun. Tino lifted a 1-2 changeup over the right field fence and raced around the bases with his head down. I was immediately gratified watching Tino drive in his league-leading 98th and 99th RBIs. Martinez had a career season in 2007 from what I remember. I was in the house for his 36th homerun of the year, which also led the AL at the time. The bomb was the most by any Yankee first baseman since Lou Gehrig’s 37 in 1937. It was only the first inning but Dad delivered, in typical father-style. He bought me a bowl of Dippin’ Dots ice cream in one of those blue plastic mini Yankee helmets. The cool treat went down as smooth as Wells discarded the A‘s that day. Father knows best.
The Yankees added a run in the second on a one-out Sojo double. The fleet-footed Jeter scored the run after his single put the shortstop at first base. Oakland had two errors in the third inning, and the Bombers capitalized on both. A’s left-fielder, Patrick Lennon, had one of the errors on a Wade Boggs drive. With Boggs on second, Joe Girardi smacked an infield single. The A’s second error of the inning allowed Boggs to score instead of remaining at third base. Shortstop, Tony Batista’s throwing gaff gave New York a nickel to none (5-0) lead.
As my father unshelled peanuts from a plastic bag and discarded the remnants below our seats, I watched with amazement the pitcher perform at his very best. Wells did not allow a hit until the fifth on a Scott Spezio hit to third base. Boggs dove to his left but the ball skimmed off his glove. Wade had to leave the game with a bruised hand and Spezio was on base with a single. Then, with two outs in the same inning, Wells gave up another hit to Izzy Molina. Molina wriggled out another hit in the eighth inning. Other than those three mishaps, Wells was brilliant and dominated the strike-out leading Oakland hitters.
“Pretzels, here. Get your pretzels,” chanted a vendor with a metal box around his arm. My dad took him up on his monotonous offer and purchased a pair of pretzels for two passionate fans (Me being a passionate fan of the pinstripes; my dad more of a passionate pretzels pursuer). By now, my senses were in overdrive. I was so overwhelmed by the lavishing scene. The stadium was wide-open and the grass looked as green as ever. I couldn’t sit still I was so into the action on the field. Fans surrounding me were shouting, cursing, slapping each other five and laughing out loud about unrelated matters. I pawed the yearbook and program my dad bought me, took a bite from the hot pretzel and quickly turned my attention back to the field.
Steve Karsay (future Yankee) was on the mound for the Athletics. Karsay allowed six Yankee runs on eight hits. The potent Yankees batters were knocking pitches around the field, much to my delight. I got to see Paul O’Neill drive in a run in the fourth and Sojo club one over the wall in the eighth. Luis went 4 for 5 that day. Sojo was one of those under appreciated players who could basically play anywhere you asked him to or do anything you asked him to do on the ball field.
Wells was the real story of the afternoon though. I thought perhaps I would witness a no-hitter that July summer. There was nobody better on the mound than David on his best day. Wells had six strikeouts through the first four innings and struck out the side in the fifth. The lefty pitched a complete game, with 16 total strikeouts. He fell two K’s short of Ron Guidry’s record 18 strikeout game in 1978, but tied the club record set earlier in the year by David Cone. I could see, even from my secluded sight, the ball hitting Girardi’s target behind the plate all day. Wells had it going on, and did a sort of crow-hop off the mound after every inning. The Yankees as a team came across as unbeatable to my watchful eyes.
The victory over the A’s completed a Yankee sweep of the Oakland club. I was happy to be a part of the history, even though it was slight compared to other games in the big Bronx. Today the Yankees play their first ever game in the new park. It will be a tough act to follow the grandeur of the old stadium. The original version was tailored-made for the Yankee teams of the past.
The ‘97 win with Boomer on the mound and Tino going yard still sends chills down my spine and brings a smile to my face. I can still see my father shelling those peanuts and my left shoulder touching his right as we shared another baseball bonding moment.

Parting points: Song with its own mystique: “Let It Die”- Foo Fighters

An awesome biking blog to check out: http://bicycling.com/blogs/livingthedream/

No comments: