Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hooray for Spring. Here are two poems I wrote with Spring and Summer in mind:


Without Worry (Healing Hyacinth)

Willowy waves of water dripped droplets of dew down my brow
The wet sweat of sumptuous summer was a spawn of sweet hyacinth
The bulbous beads of worry broke out as I make my set
A softball stitched smoothly and leather-bounded held ready to prowl

Spring fragrances flowed like the figurative flower
Planted in March and blossoming in July
My arm wobbled weakly in winter only to strengthen now
Without worry, I wound up and wallowed a delivery so dour

She stole a glance as deep as the purple petals produce a dense dye
The whip-like whiff as wispy as the papery and skin-like cover
My ball grafted the glove awaiting the strike
A busy bee beside the starfish-shaped hyacinth when high

A symbol of sport or play is the grown bell-shaped plant
A young girl without worry is reborn on the field
Waxy leaves protect the surface of a sensitive natural wonder
Unconditional love heals hopeless hearts where other kinds can’t

A New Day Of Promises

It’s not quite daylight but the night is done
Hazy summer mornings arrive with a new sun
I see the ocean’s calm waves tumbling at my right
The boardwalk is spacious, not a crowd in sight

My fingers grip the rubber handlebars and I settle down
The planks of wood under my tires are a sandy brown
I know today holds promises as I patiently pedal
The dark night has changed to black coffee in a kettle

No wind whips now, but a warm breeze gives me life
A beach, a breakfast, a bike--and not a single strife
Bare feet bottoms boil on Earth’s grainy ground
As gulls glance gleefully, landing on salt without a sound

I want to see the equator, although imaginary
A banana-seat boat with wheels would let the sea carry
I don’t want to find a pot of gold or hidden treasure
For those only bring burdens, poor luck and bad weather

Instead, it is my hope and wish to discover
I was born a true ocean lover
Seaweed and shellfish smell find in my hand
But the homes of the creatures are scattered and sheltered in sand

My home is right here at the end of the ride
A new day of promises pours in like the tide


Parting points: “Alright, don’t worry, we’ll all float on…” -Modest Mouse

No comments: