Monday, March 9, 2009

Daylight Dreaming

Daylight savings time has begun and the baseball season officially commences in just four weeks. I have some personal sports goals as I head into this splendid Spring season. My number one goal is to get back on the tennis court. I would like to start hitting the ball around on a regular basis again. I miss the game dearly. It’s been away from me too long now, for a number of different reasons. Time and the weather are not conducive to playing year-round. With the warmer weather winking at me around the corner, I am going to make an effort to play. I need to hone the kick serve I’ve been working on. My net game needs tweaking. The backhand slice I generate with my maneuvering wrist needs to be surfaced and showcased again.
It is always a challenge finding people to play tennis with, but there are usually some weekenders who make it a ritual to meet for matches at the local high school.. I just feel an emptiness without tennis in my life. I know when I start to see the sunshine and the hazy humid air hits me, the har-tru tennis courts will call. I still dream about the game and certain matches in my sleep. I don’t think I will ever get away from this great game because there is nothing to replace it in my soul.
Another goal, and one that is more far-fetched, is to join a bike club for competitive or friendly rides. I have always wanted to be in a bike race, just to see how well I would stack up against other riders. If anything, I am sure there are some amateur routes and low-key tracks in my area. Money has always held me back from going to that level. I also don’t have access to very many events because of my location. But my goal is to get more into biking and maybe start to make it a social hobby of mine.
Skateboarding is magnificent, although a little more dangerous than other sports. A goal of mine this Spring is to wheel out my deck and skate the pavement downtown. There is a small skate park I know of not too far away. I usually stay close to home when riding my skateboard. I need to escape and escalate my skating. My board is outdated and my skill unoriginal but I still get a kick out of kick flipping my way through town. There are no official rules to the sport, and that’s what makes it great. I can only dream about doing ollies over ramps and rails in my imagination.
The two sports I’ve wanted to try my entire life are surfing and fishing. Ever since I can remember, I’ve been enamored with the ocean. Surfing is definitely a fantasy because it just isn’t going to happen. However, I can picture myself riding waves with a gnarly surfboard and having a happening time, dude.
Fishing is an activity I could potentially enjoy. I read a lot of Ernest Hemingway novels and the famous author adored fishing. It seems entirely relaxing. My relatives are into fly fishing but other than that, I don’t know a single person who actually considers fishing something fun. The best way to get into a new hobby is to learn everything you can about it. I should probably start my feasible fishing fad by leisurely pursing some books about the sport. It would help to know what to do with a fishing rod and how to go about trying to reel in those finny friends.

Parting points: Song of the day- “Loser” by Beck; Word of the day- “empathetic”

One of my favorite pastimes is going high-tech:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008829682_cards09.html

No comments: