Saturday, February 7, 2009

Arod Accused

I don’t know why I’m surprised, but I am. This morning, reports came out that Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003. The arrogant ARod always acted as if he could never be associated with steroid use, and I was foolish enough to believe him. It is so disappointing to hear another player I respected for his talent to be a cheater. Besides Alex, Derek Jeter is the only other player I never would have suspected succumbed to steroids.
Rodriguez earned the MVP in 2003 while he slugged his way through the American League as a Texas Ranger. The fallout from these reports are going to be enormous. Arod has had hard enough a time playing for the Yankees and is one of the most hated players in baseball. This will only add to the hatred and he is sure to hear more boos than he has in the past. Not only is this bad news for the Yankees, but it’s bad publicity for Major League Baseball. One of the game’s biggest stars and most talented athlete is a cheater and a liar. Steroid use during this era has ruined baseball for everybody. I considered Alex a true player with God given ability. His workout regime and daily grind in the gym was admirable. No one could ever knock Alex for his work ethic. Only now can we see he is really a fraud and a fake. Steroid use, however little or much, is wrong. I am against any type of performance-enhancing substance in any sport. If you need an edge to get ahead, you should not be playing the game.
I am not sure how often he used or to what extend he abused steroids, but it doesn’t matter. Arod might shatter a number of baseball records and he is already a future Hall of Famer. Of course there were no penalties for steroid use in 2003, this morning’s report about the Yankee third baseman is still damaging. Alex hasn’t made any comments yet. He only stated to the press that he has nothing to say about the matter. I would advice him to be honest right away before this issue progresses into a massive mess. Alex should learn from Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro. The repressions are going to be a distraction all season for the Yankees, and that is what concerns me most. It’s one thing for Rodriguez to under perform. It’s entirely different for him to be considered a liar. Who is going to trust the man now that he’s been linked to the never-ending steroid abusers.
Today I learned my lesson. You cannot put your faith and trust in anyone. I know nobody is perfect, but I really believed Alex to be a clean player. The joke’s on me and I am sure hundreds of other former Arod supporters.

Parting points: “Nightswimming” by R.E.M. in my CD player and “The Mystery of Edwin Drood” by Charles Dickens on my bookshelf.

No comments: