Sunday, March 6, 2011

Leonard’s Last

Thursday March 3rd, Wes Leonard took his last shot. He made a basket no one will ever forget and paid dearly for the game he loved to play.
I’m sure you’ve heard by now the story of the 16 year old Michigan high school basketball player who collapsed and died after hitting the game winning shot for his team. Wes Leonard’s death is tragic, scary and sad. It’s frightening when any young person loses their life inexplicably. It’s especially horrific when death occurs following one shining moment in an athlete’s lively existence. Leonard was a high school junior with a gift. He participated in both basketball and football for Fennville High School. An enlarged heart causes Leonard to go into cardiac arrest immediately after nailing the game winning shot in overtime Thursday night. The American Heart Association advises children with dilated cardiomyopathy not to participate in sports. The risk of heart failure increases during competition for people with this condition. The symptoms are never really apparent if you are unaware of your diagnosis. Those who knew Leonard said he took excellent care of his body. It is truly scary as an athlete to imagine having your life taken away by a health condition. It’s become too familiar a situation for many athletes. It makes you wonder if preventative measures are being taken seriously. It makes you wonder what you would do if you found out you couldn’t compete because of a heart condition. Personally, I’m not sure I would be able to handle that news. I’m accustomed, like many athletes, to pushing myself beyond my limits. It would make me think twice if I knew I couldn’t push myself hard. It’s a shame what happened to Wes Leonard. It would be an even bigger shame if nothing were done to prevent other young athletes from a similar fate.

No comments: