Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Confident Captain

They look at me to take charge
With sturdy hands on a clipboard
Transforming my role into something large
I step up with a dedicated desire
To bring them together in accord
Focusing on igniting an internal fire
I wonder where each one comes from
An eclectic mix of teammates formed
Unified to deliver as one
Some speak out to hear their own voices
But most listen as if they’ve been warned
Acutely aware of all their choices
We put our hands in the middle of a circle
A ritual designed for the formal
Pumping in motion using words so lyrical
It affects me to an unimaginable degree
How inside this group appears charmingly undeniable
Despite what others outside may see
I turn back and look at each set of eyes
Assume my position as captain of the ship
The one who acts straight-faced and wise
I’ve been in their shoes many times before
What they don’t know I hide behind my grip
The sturdy hand on this racquet is shaking at the core


Sole's Sole

You know you’re good
When your shoes are older than your feet
And yet you can still compete

Balls scatter like seeds on a lawn
Reluctantly crowd the ground
Each one with a story, a sound

Before the dust settles and lights dim
You take one more shot on the rise
Feeling the soul in your soles surmise

You guess this is the end
It’s hard to form a final thought
From the spot your anecdotes were wrought

You know you’re sold
When you crush a winner down the line
And you feel a tingle up your spine

No comments: