Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Fault

Because we all need to make our own mistakes
and because love is always accompanied by heartaches:

I hit the ball too low
I ran to net too slow
I misread your return
I let my shoulder turn
I ripped it wide to right
I lobbed it out of sight
I slipped with my left foot
I hesitated and stayed put
I sliced the shot too soon
I smashed an overhead to the moon
I volleyed out of line
I clearly wasn’t fine
Until the day you came
And I was in love with more than a game
I haven’t been the same since
You showed me how to have balance
I listened with one ear
Saved the other for what I wished to hear
You make me fall out of place
Whenever I see your pretty face
If it takes a court for you to see
Everything you are to me
I’d build one with these two hands
To prove to you where my heart stands
I didn’t mean to double fault
I didn’t expect tears to mix with salt
I didn’t want to lose the point
I didn’t know it would be you I’d anoint
I didn’t try to augment the approach with a shove
I didn’t plan to fall in love
I didn’t aim for the out-of-bound
I didn’t think I’d always desire you around
I didn’t anticipate the topspin
I didn’t stop my emotional tailspin
I didn’t realize the drop shot disguise
I didn’t blame you for turning down my tries
It’s my fault I fell into you
But tennis takes the fault for two

Parting Points: Song of the day- “Somebody’s Crying” by Chris Isaak
Happy Birthday to Yankees’ captain, Derek Jeter.

No comments: