Friday, June 25, 2010

Free Verse Friday

It’s been one heck of a week. Heck, it’s been one heck of a month. I feel like ranting instead of rhyming as the week comes to an end. Last night was the NBA draft. I would have taken Evan Turner over John Wall any day because I think Turner’s skills and style translate well at the pro level. Wall is a talented and speedy player, but Turner is the type of guy who can lift a team to an elite level. This isn’t just the Ohio State fan inside of me screaming out. I really believe Turner will be the best player chosen from the 2010 draft. I know I will soon be breaking out my 76ers hat again (yes I bought one when Philly acquired Allen Iverson)
Another player who I find extremely endearing is Gordon Hayward. The Jazz picked the baby-faced Butler forward with the ninth selection. Hayward is a mighty physical player with all the fundamentals. He presents a unique option in the frontcourt on defense and should fit well Utah’s unit. Most experts will knock Hayward because they think he is nothing more than a glorified Final Four contender who won’t pan out in the NBA. I disagree. I think this kid blends basketball skills with sheer professionalism and class. I look forward to his contributions to the pro game because I enjoyed him so much at the college level last season.
I love Bobby Valentine. I have always hoped for Bobby V’s return to the MLB as a manager. The Florida Marlins axed their skipper this week and are reportedly pursuing Valentine as the replacement. Valentine would be a decent fit in this mediocre NL clubhouse. He could instill fire under the bellies of the underperforming fish. If anything, Valentine will usher in some much-needed changes down in Florida. It would be good to see him back from his second fiddle stint in Japan. Valentine is the type of manager who makes an impression. His baseball critiquing and coaching is old school but not out-of-date. Undoubtedly, he would improve the Marlins or any other team in the league.
Elegant Evan and humble Hayward
Making the hardwood a better place
Sweetly bringing a brighter game
Wall’s in-your-face facades
Are nothing to the charming Bobby V’s charades
Give the colorful coach a chance
And the Marlins may just have a prayer

Parting Points: Song of the day- “Devoted to You” by Carly Simon

No comments: