Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Personal passages, personal promises

When you took my hand that day
You told me not to worry
When you took my hand that way
I told you to hurry
Inside I felt this was the end
You swore to me you’d stay
Inside I felt this heart could mend
I swore to you I’d play
The part I wanted to let go
You never saw in me
The part I wanted to say no
I never could let be
When I gave the best I could
You promised to fulfill me
When I gave the best I should
You promised me you’d see
It doesn’t matter how it goes
You always make me glad
It doesn’t matter who even knows
You always make the ending sad



A shattered dream and silent scream
Are all I have to remember the grind
The snapping sound and sandy ground
Are memories I succeeded in leaving behind
Around the horn in a uniform so worn
Are vivid images engulfed in my mind
Toeing the rubber plate in a concentrated state
Are parts of the controlled craft during my wind
An unforgettable win and the stiff hair on my skin
Are formulated feelings in another game I will not find
An arm turned iconic in a lifetime littered ironic
Are answers to the yearning in which I pined



To the frisky fellow who fires fastballs
You’re fine by me
File you under fantastic for forcing fear
Finely-honed and forged is your biting form
It’s a fact they’re fanatical in your face
To the giant behind the plate with glove and gauze
You’re great indeed
Gushing with grit and brimming with gear
Glued to the ground until your gum band stand
Those garments give way to your gift so grand
To the vicious vacuum at third that’s as swift as vapor
You’re victorious at worst
Vain in your venue and very vexing as a visitor
Varied vibes and verbose venting at the hot corner
They vote for you when you veer to their avail
To the star shortstop with slick skills and soiled shirt
You’re stupendous a spectacle
Sure-handed grace even in sloppy space
Sinewy and strong you support and subjugate
Their shots and strides significantly far from safe
To the second base player pinned to the perimeter
You’re perpetually pacing around
Parallel paths inside the lines and penetration ahead
Pouncing and piercing your proven plan prevails
A prideful protection planted up the middle
To the one and only on ordinary first base
You’re okay in your own way
Ominous is your offer and overture to bunt
Obeying officials you obscure their outlook
The observers oblige an ovation
To the writer so witty with wondrous words
You’re worthy of assignment
Wishfully wanting a win before wrapping-up column
Woeful when losing and wrong to wring when on top
They wiggle and writhe as your deadline passes about

Parting Points: I'm looking forward to picking up Leona Lewis' new album, ECHO. Her voice is fantastic.

No comments: