Friday, June 26, 2009

Early End

I usually don’t blog about anything other than sports, but I must write about the shocking and tragic news of Michael Jackson’s death. I do not proclaim to be a fan of Jackson himself, but his music was very influential to most of the artists I enjoy today. Despite his oddness and weird personality, and all the accusations against the pop star, his voice still meant a lot to people. What began with the Jackson 5 turned into a successful solo career. Jackson’s music was heard around the globe and his celebrity is one of the most recognized of my childhood and teenage years. I am a huge music lover and Michael paved the way for so many of today’s stars.
I still remember the emotional performance of “Heal the World” at Superbowl halftime, and Jackson’s intriguing but epic music video for “Thriller”. The dance-themed song changed the video music era. “She’s Out Of My Life” and “You Are Not Alone” both still make me cry they are so harmonically composed. “Beat It” is a spectacular tune and “Billy Jean” and “Smooth Criminal” usually make me want to get up and dance. The Jackson 5 are memorable for their catchy hits, “ABC” and “The Girl Is Mine”. M.J. pumped out addictive, spunky pop songs and provided invigorating live shows. Everybody knows Jackson is famous for his plastic surgery history, dance moves and moon walk, and his infamous white glove. Everybody also knows he created some of the most memorable hits in pop music history. It’s a somber day whenever something like this happens but it’s especially surreal and distressing when it comes at an unexpected time. Music lost a gifted voice yesterday and America lost an icon way too early.

Parting: Song of the day- “Man In The Mirror” by Michael Jackson

No comments: