Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fiesta Flashback

It was January 3, 2003…
Maurice Hall, wearing the white #28 Buckeye jersey, stood ready to receive the kickoff to the Fiesta Bowl in Sun Devil Stadium. Quarterback, Craig Krenzel, took the huddle at his 15 yard line after an opening penalty. The senior handed the football off to star running back, Maurice Clarett, number 13. On second down, Krenzel scrambled for a gain before being tackled by a Miami defenseman. Jim Tressel shouted plays from the sideline as Krenzel was pressured by a strong defense. The Hurricane secondary covered OSU effectively enough to enable Craig to throw the ball away. The Buckeyes defense yielded to the punting unit after a three and out.
At the 20 yard line, Miami began their quest for the title. Will Smith knocked Miami quarterback, Ken Dorsey, to the turf. Sack number one. On second down, OSU forced another loss of yards and the Canes quickly faced a third and long situation. The Tempe, Arizona crowd just started to get into the national championship game. Scarlet and gray clad fans stood waving their arms against green, orange and white flashes of cheers. Simultaneous screams erupted from the stands. 11:39 into the game and finally a first down. It was from Miami but the Hurricanes failed to score on the first drive either. They did succeed on special teams as the Buckeyes were pinned on their own one yard line to start drive number two. Another three and out for the Ohio State offense. Back to the punt and back to the huddle for Ken Dorsey’s Hurricanes. Always patient in the pocket, Dorsey finds Kellen Winslow, Jr. with plenty of time wide open on second down. The Buckeye tackles continue to consume Dorsey though and sack him again. Miami takes a time out for the second time in the first quarter. Head Coach for Miami, Larry Coker, couldn’t communicate with his quarterback. The timeout proved worthwhile for Miami because Dorsey hooked up with the speedy Roscoe Parrish on a perfectly executed route. Five plays for 52 yards.
I figured immediately this game had “Hurricane hammering” written all over it when former Redskin, the late Sean Taylor, athletically picked off Krenzel on a deflection to his receiver. Oh, how wrong I was! The 2003 Fiesta Bowl turned out to be the best college football game I’ve ever seen. The game was loaded with suspense, excitement and a nerve-racking back and forth overtime, never before matched thriller. Future NFL stars were everyone in this game, from freshmen Nick Mangold and AJ Hawk, Mike Nugent, Will Smith, Chris Gamble and Michael Doss for OSU. On the Miami side, Willis McGahee, Kellen Winslow, Jr., Sean Taylor, Roscoe Parrish and Andre Johnson manned the sidelines. I was a sophomore in college that winter and had just been named Sports Editor for the newspaper. I remember I couldn’t wait to pin up photos of the Ohio State championship team on the wall behind my editor’s desk. I wanted to write all about how the game was won and what heart the Buckeyes showed. The spectacular defense held Miami in check all day and they made enough plays offensively to turn it into a win. I remember I liked Ohio State but after they defeated Miami that year, I fell in love. I didn’t think my passion could run as deep for a team as it had for my beloved Yankees. But, I was wrong. Today I am a true Ohio State Buckeye fan. I live and die with this football team. Six years later, the Buckeyes are returning to the Fiesta Bowl to face a Texas team many argue should be playing in the BCS Title game. Not many are giving my Bucks a chance. I will believe in them and cheer them on no matter what the game’s outcome. That January 3rd game meant something to me and I never forgot. I just had to pull out my old DVD of it and watch it again and again. The players get older and move on but winning the way they did in 2003…that never gets old.

Parting points: This is my 80th post. Just thought that was significant for some reason.

No comments: