Sunday, January 18, 2009

Amateur Author Archives

I was going through some old journal entries I wrote when I was younger. I came across one I wrote after the Yankees won the 1996 World Series. Then, I found another entry recalling the night the Bronx Bombers became world champions. I think I wrote the second piece a few years later. Here are the two writings from yours truly. I like to think my journaling has improved since then, but I will let you be the judge.

Recalling the 1996 World Series
On October 26, 1996, I sat on my living room couch. The World Series of 1996 was on television. The New York Yankees were playing the Atlanta Braves at Yankee Stadium. The Braves had defeated the Yankees in the first two games. The Yankees had a major three game comeback thanks to the heroics of Paul O’Neill, Jim Leyritz and David Cone.
It was the bottom of the ninth inning. The Yankees were in the field. John Wetteland, relief pitcher, was on the mound. Mark Lemke was awaiting the pitch that would end the season for his Braves. Wetteland winded up and threw a fastball to Lemke. The ball swirled in the air over third baseman Charlie Hayes’s head. He reached his glove into the air and secured the World Series in the Bronx Bombers’ hands.
Tino Martinez, Mariano Duncan, Derek Jeter, Joe Girardi, Charlie Hayes, Darryl Strawberry, Bernie Williams and Paul O’Neill all rushed to the mound and piled on top of each other in a joyous celebration. My radio soared with the announcer screaming, “The Yankees win, theeeeeee Yankees win!”

The second entry…I guess I was always a little dramatic, huh?
I’ve experienced many things in my life. Not one was as heartwarming as viewing the 1996 World Series. I remember it like it was yesterday. I’ll never forget the way I felt and what I felt like doing. What makes a hero? To me, a hero is someone with courage and heart. They have to be able to touch you in some way. The 1996 Yankees displayed a vast amount of courage and heart. Their determination, talent, consideration and goals reached out to me. To me, heroes are the New York Yankees.
There were two strikes on Mark Lempke as I sat, spine-chilling, on my living room couch. The drama brought me to the edge of my seat. I whispered prayers in my head as John Wetteland took his windup. Mark Lempke lifted his front leg slightly and swung his two arms past his neck slowly. The baseball turned up into the air near the Braves dugout where it had previously landed. I stood on my two feet and clutched my two fists. Charlie Hayes stumbled to the front row of the stands, watched and forced the ball into his black glove. I froze as a tear came into my eye and the Yankees into my heart. I’ve always been a Yankee fan, but after this World Series experience, I was addicted and a fan for life. When Charlie Hayes secured the ball, I, along with the players (or so I imagined) realized what it was all about. Suddenly fame and salaries seemed pointless. I realized the important thing was completing what they were sent to finish. As I watched memories being made, I had a knot in my throat. My tongue was tied as veteran, Wage Boggs, rode a horse and Mariano Rivera exchanged hugs with pitcher, Andy Pettitte. As Wetteland held up his one finger and Paul O’Neill jumped on top of the pile of players, I suddenly didn’t care what time it was or the fact I had school the next morning. All I wanted to do was cry. I felt I had seen the best thing in the whole entire world. For once in my life, I felt a part of the heroism that took place on the memorable October 26, 1996.


Parting points: My favorite album in 1996 was Beck‘s “Odelay”, released June 18th.

I received it for Christmas and just starting reading it--”War as they knew it. Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a time of unrest” by Michael Rosenberg

No comments: