Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Warrior's Winning Ways

Every baseball analyst and Yankee fan is speculating about how to fix the Yankees this off season. Some suggest thoughtless trades or zany signings. Others like the idea of bringing up younger prospects and having them slotted as starters. It’s clear to me Joe Girardi’s Yankees are missing that certain intangible quality the championship teams held. Those teams had an identity that went beyond individual feats. They were able to achieve World Series titles because of the players who were assembled. I will infuse my own views about the 2009 team, but before I do, I am taking a look back at one player who was an ultimate all-around warrior.

Paul O’Neill
I admire many New York Yankees, past and present. Yankee legends are admirable because of their great accomplishments throughout baseball history. However, my favorite modern Yankee is Paul O’Neill. I have tremendous respect for number 21, Paul O’Neill. He is an aggressive competitor and dedicated team player. I like Paul’s devotion, passion and knowledge of baseball. Paul is a dependable player in clutch situations. His high batting average continues to provide him with fame. Paul earned the American League Batting Championship in 1994. Paul O’Neill is also respectable off the field. He is involved with charities and recently helped victims of the tornado in his hometown in Ohio. Paul is an all-around role model for children. More athletes should copy Paul’s example.
Paul O’Neill is my favorite Yankee because he possesses the qualities of a true athlete. Not only are his batting and fielding skills amazing to watch, but his honest, honorable and humble character are outstanding. As an athlete myself, I truly look up to him. Paul should be a favorite among every Yankee fan because right field wouldn’t be the same without him.


Parting points: I haven’t gone pumpkin picking and probably won’t go this year. I really miss it though. A nostalgic song: Smashing Pumpkins’ “1979”. It’s a classic Pumpkins hit.

No comments: