Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday Top Ten

Ahh, another amusing and serene Thursday night of college football. Tonight Auburn aspires to annihilate West Virginia and the New Mexico Lobos lash it out against Air Force. Thursday evenings this time of year are spectacular for the very reason there are college games to be had. I will make a list of the ten things I love most about the college game by flying like an Air Force Falcon right into reason number ten:

10) The mascots. Think of all the strange mascots around college football. At Ohio State, you have a giant nut wearing a towel walking around with an “O” on his striped shirt. USC has their Trojan, Penn State has its cuddly Nittany Lion and Notre Dame has a Fightin’ Irishman. There’s a plethora of other mascots worth mentioning but college football is the best sport for mascots on display. They have no shame and each team is so proud of their talisman.
9) Thursday night games. Is there a more appropriate way to jump start and kick off the unofficial start of the weekend? Thursdays were the big nights out in college but I am content and cozy on my couch with primetime football. Throughout the season, there are fashionable offerings as many programs become the national focal points for one week. Teams have a way of going all out under the national spotlight. It also makes for a nice beginning of a jam-packed Saturday schedule.
8) Rankings. Many adversaries argue the AP/Coaches polls are over hyped, unnecessary and subjective. Even some players feel the rankings don’t mean much, especially early in the year. That may be true but I look forward to seeing what teams make the climb, take the fall or enter the top 20 for the first time each week. Things change quickly and the polls are unpredictable. A number one team can take a huge hit and drop out of the top ten with a loss to a mediocre team. The score can also indicate which direction the next ranking will take a team. The polls sometimes count more than a team record in the end. You can’t say that about too many other major sports.
7) Over time policy. The NFL sudden death OT is the ultimate climax for most football fans and certainly gets credit. However, I prefer the NCAA OT rules with each team getting a possession in the extra session. It creates a sense of urgency and is the fair way of determining a winner. I think I developed my preference for this style after seeing the Miami-OSU 2003 Fiesta Bowl. The recent NHL shootout implementation equates to college football’s OT and has done wonders for that league too.
6) Bowl Season. New Year’s Eve and day just wouldn’t be the same without the countless college clashes. The annual Rose parade is precious and the group of games grand. The silly bowl names are side notes to the scheduled events. You are likely to witness at least a few blowouts with coaches running up the score. Luckily, there are close contests showcasing superior teams trying for titles too. It doesn’t take away from any one team when there are several championship bowls to be won. I’m still waiting for a team to earn the Toilet or Cereal Bowl bid one year.
5) 11:00 and Noon time starts. The early Saturday riser in me rejoices when my remote finds real live action before noon. I delight in these Saturday games. They’re extra special because I can enjoy a cup of coffee with lunch time football. And back to back to back games sure gets my appetite going.
4) Homecoming. College homecoming games are spirit-filled, exciting affairs. Students and fans show off their school colors with painted faces and chests, loud fight songs, and overall wackiness. Anything goes. No other sport can claim a Homecoming game. They remind me of my childhood when Homecoming was a big deal, no matter the game’s outcome.
3) Rivalries. College football has the greatest rivalries in all sports. Texas-Oklahoma. Ohio State-Michigan. Pittsburgh-West Virginia. Army-Navy. Just to name a few. The rivalries are great every year no matter how good or bad the teams are. You can be sure the players will be “up” for a rivalry game. Some wait all year for the chance to knock down a rival college. Coaches prepare for these games during the summer months in some crazy places and tickets usually sell out quickly.
2) Traditions. I love hearing about all the historical aspects of college programs. How they started, what coaches were most influential and famous, what players came through a college program and thrived at a higher level (NFL), etc. The traditions go hand in hand with the game itself. You have to appreciate the tradition of a football team before you can truly root for that team in my opinion. Every team started somewhere and it’s fun for me to learn about the roots of the programs.
1) The Atmosphere. Unfortunately, I have only been to one college football game in person. That game took place at Mikey Stadium where I saw the Army Black Knights play. It was a memorable experience and much different than an NFL game. I felt closer to the action, more involved and able to really get a grasp on the playcalling. I love to watch football and college football takes the front seat to any other mode for me. The game is much more localized and to me, that makes it better.

Parting points: The Steelers host the Giants on Sunday. Both teams are 5-1 so this should be a big test for each. I think it will be a close game but I give Pittsburgh the edge because they are at home.

No comments: